'I am loathe to believe that we will attach greater value to the sight of Lowburn Bay stocked to capacity with a few water skiers on the incoming weekend tide than we will to the enjoyment of hundreds at picnics on the shade-dappled grassy banks of the rolling Clutha at Bendigo, which must be one of the most beautiful stretches of flowing water in the world.' - K.F. O'Connor, Multiple Resource Use in the Upper Clutha Valley, Journal of Hydrology (NZ) Vol 14, No. 2, 1975.

Welcome Home Hotel

Welcome Home Hotel, circa 1880

There had been a Welcome Home Hotel in the area since 1865, when the first hotel was built by John and Charlotte Perriam on the Quartz Reef side of the river. In 1869, they completed a new stone hotel across the river in the growing settlement of Lowburn Ferry. Mrs Perriam became the proprietress in 1883 after the death of her husband. The stone hotel had thirteen bedrooms, three sitting-rooms, a bar, kitchen, and a dining-room that could seat twenty guests. There was a stable at the back and an adjoining store stocking general merchandise.

The building was located on the main street facing the Clutha River, where the Lowburn Ferry operated for 63 years until 1938, when a concrete arch bridge was built across the river. The hotel was rebuilt and renovated a number of times, but retained many of its historic features and artefacts. The hotel was the headquarters of the Lowburn Curling Club and always had a colourful place in the community.

Welcome Home Hotel, circa 1978

Welcome Home Hotel, 1984

1984 Sign

About This Site

A brief history of Lowburn before the Clyde dam inundated the turquoise river, flooding our campsites, farms, and orchards. Where now, can we go to sit in the dappled shade beside the swift crystal waters, cooled by the moving air and the song of the river? Where is our river paradise? It is 60ft under.

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP